Changes to the PMP® and CAPM® Exams
Major changes are coming to the PMBOK®, along with the corresponding PMP® and CAPM® exams. The PMBOK® is the global standard for project management. Every 4-5 years, the Project Management Institute (PMI®) updates this guide.
The PMBOK® was last updated in 2013.
Well, the time has come for the next update. This change will be a big one.
Let’s get to your most burning questions…
When will the PMP® and CAPM® exams change?
According to the latest guidance from PMI®, the exams will change in the first quarter of 2018, possibly as early as January 1st. This will follow the release of the sixth edition of the PMBOK® in the latter half of 2017.
What are the major changes to the PMP® and CAPM® exams?
It appears the biggest changes to the exams will be the addition of new information originating from the sixth edition of the PMBOK®. Also, some existing information will be revised.
Here are the areas you need to pay the most attention to –
- Introduction and emphasis on agile and other iterative project management methodologies.
- Greater focus on PMI’s Talent Triangle™– strategic and business management, leadership, and technical project management.
- Changes to the process framework and terminology.
It’s this last one that PMP® and CAPM® aspirants should pay particular attention to. Although the Process Groups will remain the same, you’ll notice quite a few differences in the Knowledge Areas and Processes.
Knowledge Area Changes
Two Knowledge Areas will be renamed as follows –
- “Project Human Resource Management” changes to “Project Resource Management”
- “Project Time Management” changes to “Project Schedule Management”
The Processes will increase from 47 to 49. Here’s what you can expect –
- “Manage Project Knowledge” will be added
- “Control Resources” will be added
- “Implement Risk Responses” will be added
- “Close Procurements” will be deleted
The Processes below will be renamed as follows –
- “Perform Quality Assurance” will be renamed “Manage Quality”
- “Plan Human Resource Management” will be renamed “Plan Resource Management”
- “Acquire Project Team” will be renamed “Acquire Resources”
- “Control Communications” will be renamed “Monitor Communications”
- “Control Risks” will be renamed “Monitor Risks”
- “Plan Stakeholder Management” will be renamed “Plan Stakeholder Engagement”
- “Control Stakeholder Engagement” will be renamed “Monitor Stakeholder Engagement”
PMBOK® Fifth Edition vs. Sixth Edition Process Name Changes
|PMBOK® Fifth Edition||PMBOK® Sixth Edition|
|Plan Resource Management|
|Plan Stakeholder Engagement|
|Monitor Stakeholder Engagement|
What Should You Do?
You should plan on passing the PMP® or CAPM® Exam before January 1st 2018. This will ensure the exam you take will be based on the current 5th Edition of the PMBOK®.
Does BOBCAT Academy’s courseware reflect the current exams?
Yes. Our courseware is based on the current 5th Edition of the PMBOK®. We will update our materials to reflect the new 6th Edition when PMI® changes the exam in 2018.