Changes to the PMP® and CAPM® Exams
The PMP® and CAPM® exams are aligned with the new PMBOK® 6th edition. The PMBOK® is the global standard for project management. Every 4-5 years, the Project Management Institute (PMI®) updates this guide.
The PMBOK® was last updated in 2013.
Well, the time has come for the next update. This change will be a big one.
Let’s get to your most burning questions…
When will the PMP® and CAPM® exams change?
The PMP® Exam changed to the PMBOK® 6th edition on March 26th. The CAPM® Exam changes to the PMBOK® 6th edition on May 21st.
What are the major changes to the PMP® and CAPM® exams?
It appears the biggest changes to the exams will be the addition of new information originating from the sixth edition of the PMBOK®. Also, some existing information will be revised.
Here are the areas you need to pay the most attention to –
- Introduction and emphasis on agile and other iterative project management methodologies.
- Greater focus on PMI’s Talent Triangle™– strategic and business management, leadership, and technical project management.
- Changes to the process framework and terminology.
It’s this last one that PMP® and CAPM® aspirants should pay particular attention to. Although the Process Groups will remain the same, you’ll notice quite a few differences in the Knowledge Areas and Processes.
Knowledge Area Changes
Two Knowledge Areas will be renamed as follows –
- “Project Human Resource Management” changes to “Project Resource Management”
- “Project Time Management” changes to “Project Schedule Management”
The Processes will increase from 47 to 49. Here’s what you can expect –
- “Manage Project Knowledge” will be added
- “Control Resources” will be added
- “Implement Risk Responses” will be added
- “Close Procurements” will be deleted
The Processes below will be renamed as follows –
- “Perform Quality Assurance” will be renamed “Manage Quality”
- “Plan Human Resource Management” will be renamed “Plan Resource Management”
- “Acquire Project Team” will be renamed “Acquire Resources”
- “Control Communications” will be renamed “Monitor Communications”
- “Control Risks” will be renamed “Monitor Risks”
- “Plan Stakeholder Management” will be renamed “Plan Stakeholder Engagement”
- “Control Stakeholder Engagement” will be renamed “Monitor Stakeholder Engagement”
PMBOK® Fifth Edition vs. Sixth Edition Process Name Changes
|PMBOK® Fifth Edition||PMBOK® Sixth Edition|
|Plan Resource Management|
|Plan Stakeholder Engagement|
|Monitor Stakeholder Engagement|
What Should You Do?
You should plan on passing the PMP® or CAPM® exams as soon as possible, so you can leverage the certifications to grow your career.
Does BOBCAT Academy’s courseware reflect the current exams?
Yes. Our courseware is based on the most updated exam guidance. We have updated our materials to reflect the new PMBOK® 6th Edition.